Set yourself up for the day ahead with a bowl of this amazing granola topped with fresh fruit. There’s no added sugar, it’s packed full of nuts and seeds, and will provide loads of slow release energy throughout the day. You can pick up the ingredients from your local zero waste refill store to make it a plastic free way to start your day, and say goodbye to the plastic bags that comes inside the cereal box.
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Makes: 1.2kg or ¾ fills a 4l storage container.
Cost: around £7.
- 75g flaked almonds
- ½ a 340g jar of runny honey
- 100ml rapeseed oil
- 400g jumbo oats
- 100g sunflower seeds
- 100g pumpkin seeds
- 100g raisins
- 125g spelt or bran flakes
- 50g chopped apricots
- 50g banana chips crunched up smaller
- 50g coconut flakes
- Small handful of chocolate nibs (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4 and spread the almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and toast the almonds for 8 minutes until they are lightly browned, stirring and turning them over once part-way through.
- Meanwhile combine the honey and rapeseed oil and warm in a saucepan over a very low heat. Leave the almonds to cool. Do not turn the oven off.
- Mix the oats, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds in a large roasting tray. Drizzle over the honey and oil mixture and stir thoroughly to combine. Put the tray in the oven and bake the mixture, stirring every 10 minutes, for 25 minutes until it is crunchy and golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave the granola to cool.
- Carefully mix all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl, taking care not to break the coconut flakes.
- When the granola is cool, stir everything together.
- Store in an airtight container. Technically it’ll last ages, but it probably won’t because like us you’ll eat it too quickly.
Enjoy with fresh fruit from your Fruutbox and milk, Greek yogurt, kefir or your favourite non-dairy alternative.