Recipe: Tia Tamblyn’s Spring Smoothie
When we joined Tia Tamblyn around her kitchen table to record episode three of her brilliant Breakfast & Beyond podcast, she served us this wonderful smoothie bowl. We enjoyed it so much, that we asked Tia to share her recipe with us.
"There are endless iterations of seasonal smoothies - packed with fresh veggies and fruits that are available locally according to the time of year.
Use this recipe as a guide - the quantities of veg can easily be adapted, these are just the ratios that I used - and swap in fresh or store cupboard items that you have available or need using up. I love to top my smoothies with muesli or granola for a bit of extra crunch. Enjoy!"
- 100g berries (I use UK grown, organic if possible, and in early spring when fresh berries aren’t available you can use frozen berries)
- 100ml water
- 30g (approx 1 small stalk) rhubarb, washed & chopped
- 40g beetroot, washed & chopped
- 20g cabbage, chopped
- 20g kale (including stalks), chopped
- 20g purple sprouting broccoli (including leaves & stalks), chopped
- 20g oats
- 100g yogurt (or dairy-free alternative)
- 200ml almond milk (or dairy milk)
- Small nub fresh ginger
- 40g nuts - any single type, or mixed
- 20g seeds - any single type, or mixed. I used pumpkin, sunflower & linseed
- 10g (small handful) raisins or other dried fruit
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp tahini
- Optional, to serve: handful of edible spring flowers eg gorse, forget-me-knot, chickweed; fresh fruit; muesli or granola to top
- Prepare the vegetables by washing and cutting into small pieces
- Place all ingredients in a blender and whizz up until smooth
- Serve with optional toppings such as muesli, fresh fruits and edible flowers